Saturday, December 10, 2011

ADJECTIVE CLAUSE / RELATIVE CLAUSE


OLEH:
INDAH RAHMAWATI

  • Clause : A group of words containing a subject and a verb
  • Adjective Clause : a dependent clause that modifies/describes a noun.

  • Adj. Clause Pronouns : an Adj. Clause uses pronouns to connect the dependent clause to the independent clause (also called relative pronouns) ex. Who, which, whom, where, that.



Person
Thing
Place
Time
Subject
Who/that
Which / that


Object
Who(m) /that
Which / that
where
When
Possessive
Whose
whose



Adj. Clause Pronouns Used as Subject

-         I thanked the woman (1st clause)
-         She helped me (2nd clause)
I thanked the woman who helped me

-         I thanked the womanà independent clause
-         Who helped me à adj. clause

Note: Anda tidak bisa menghilangkan subject pronoun (who/that) tapi anda bisa menghilangkan object pronoun (dibahas selanjutnya)


Adj. Clause Pronouns Used as Object

The man was Mr. Jones (1st clause)
I saw him (2nd clause)
  1. The man whom I saw was Mr. Jones
  2. The man that I saw was Mr. Jones
  3. The man I saw was Mr. Jones (object pronoun bisa dihilangkan tetapi memp. arti sama)
She is the woman (1st clause)
I told you about her (2nd clause)
  1. She is the woman about whom I told you (formal)
  2. She is the woman who/that I told you about (spoken)
  3. She is the woman I told you about (spoken)

*) ‘about’ is preposition, in formal english, it is placed before the adj. pronoun (preposisi seperti in, about, to dalam Inggris formal diletakkan sebelum adj. pronoun)


TYPES OF ADJ. CLAUSE / RELATIVE CLAUSE

  1. A "defining" or identifying clause, which tells us which person or thing we are talking about.
  • The dog which bit me the other day is a Dalmatian
  • My sister who lives in Malaysia called me last night

  1. A "non-defining" or non-essential clause, which gives us more information about the person or thing we are talking about. This kind of clause could often be information included in brackets (...)

  •  My friend John has just written a best-selling novel. (He went to the same school as me)
  • My friend John, who went to the same school as me, has just written a best-selling novel



Note:
1. use commas if the adj. clause is non defining (gives additional information to the noun)
à nonessential/nonidentifying

2. do not use commas if the adj. clause is defining (necessary to identify the noun)
à essential/identifying

Examples:


  • The professor who teaches Chemistry is my lecturer (defining)

  • Professor Wilson, who teaches Chemistry, is my lecturer (non defining)
  • The country which has 5 large islands is located in South East Asia (defining)
  • Hawaii, which consists of 8 principal islands, is a favorite vacation spot (non defining)


  1. Using WHOSE (to show possession)

- I know the man
- His bicycle was stolen à I know the man whose bicycle was stolen

  1. Using WHERE

- The building is very old
- He lives there


  • The building where he lives is very old
  • The building in which he lives is very old (formal)
  • The building which /that he lives in is very old (informal)
  • The building he lives in is very old


  1. Using WHEN

- I’ll never forget the day
- I met you then


  • I’ll never forget the day when/that I met you
  •  I’ll never forget the day on which I met you (formal)

  • I’ll never forget the day I met you
1925832


No comments:

Post a Comment